Monday, November 30, 2009
Thanksgiving Trip 2009
We made our way to Arizona for Thanksgiving. Not sure how I was able to drive for 10 of the hrs. there, I am guessing that it was adrenolin. We were all a bit excited to see the family that was in town and able to make a visit and all the friends who took time out of their plans to see us. We had a great time at a local pizza place with friends and the boys loved reconnecting with all their old friends, they call them cousins...lol.
I spent some time with my dearest friend Christina, we have been friends for 35 yrs. not to many people can say that they have had the same best friend their whole life. We went to Carolina's (a local Mexican food joint) Their food is just amazing. I have been going crazy not having good Mexican Food here in Oklahoma!
We even attempted to bring back authentic tortillas home... They didn't make it, I think that you can guess why... a little hint.. they were deeeeelicious!!!!! George's mom had another litter of puppies, they were all so cute and cudley, I took one of the little girls.... since our visit Christina and her family decided to keep her and they named her "Marble". Now I will be able to see that lil' one everytime we visit! It was so nice to just hang out at their home, we didn't need to do much just visit, and catch up...We all look forward to them coming out our way, maybe in the spring.
The Morning of Thanksgiving we were able to spend some cherished time with my Dad, he had been in town and was able to extend his time there to see all of us. It was a wonderful time, we all just wish that it could have been for a bit longer. The boys loved seeing their Poppie and as always he had a little treat for them, it has become a tradition almost that my Dad has a little something hidden in his pocket to give to the boys... I think that they know but never ask or say anything, they usually just have a smile, a thank you and a snicker. What a great memory for them. Thanksgiving day we were with Lorie & Mike and his family, they were so kind to have us for Thanksgiving dinner. The boys had a great time playing with the Cole boys and thier PaPa playing football. The feast was amazing Betty did such a wonderful job on all the dishes. There were some that we have never had, I requested her recipes to add to our traditions. The prayer was touching and I loved how they all stood around in the kitchen hand in hand for prayer instead of at the table.... great memories, we are so very blessed to have such loving and welcoming people in our lives! I found myself wrapped up in just enjoying our time that I failed to take the amount of pictures that I wish that I would have. Our time with my family is never dull.. somehow all these girls still amaze me at their energy level and sense of drama, humor, and girlyness... yes that is a word in the Porter household. We had many laughs and hugs.... and look forward to seeing them real soon!
The day that we were to leave there was so much that we had to do it took just a bit longer to get done than we expected... we pulled out to leave a few hours later that we wanted to. By the time we hit Flagstaff Arizona there was a winter storm, snow and not one person who knew how to drive in it. They had the highway speed at about 20mph. By the time we got into New Mexico the roads were slushy, icy, and snow coming down. I didn't feel comfortable driving so Burton took the weel just about the whole drive home. We did stop in Texas for something to eat and the snow was amazing! We didn't realize that it snowed that much there. We had snow up until the Oklahoma boarder, made it home safe, but it did take us 20hrs. to drive on what is a 14hr. trip. Poor Burton was up for just about 36hrs. straight. He slept long and hard in his comfy bed most of the next day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment